Friday, June 23, 2006

Day 212: Shut Up Already!


Into every life a few sucky dates must fall, and last night, I experienced one of those dates.

Jill was vaguely attractive and not stupid (both good starts) ... but over the course of four hours, she simply could not seem to shut the fuck up. Even worse, it was a largely uninteresting stream of babble, from details about her schoolwork (like I care about operating a radiology machine?) to stories about her old job as a limo driver (yeah, most famous people tip like shit, I get it) to theories about why she and her ex broke up (uhm, maybe because she got tired of listening to your mouth run 24/7?)


As if talking me into a waking coma wasn't bad enough, she must have smoked 22 bowls of pot in front of me - and this after I'd told her about my year-long marijuana sabbatical. I didn't mind that she wanted to get stoned (sometimes people burn out and stop talking when they get high), but to smoke that much? And to keep offering it to me? Even worse, the weed didn't slow her monkey chatter in the slightest.

Now, you're probably wondering why I stayed as long as I did. Well, I'd driven 30 minutes to meet her, and I sincerely hate driving (I vastly prefer to be driven). If I'm going to travel that far, I want it to be worth the investment. Basically, I kept hoping the date would get better ... and I was dreading the drive home.

Perhaps I didn't think that one through.

The evening ended with a vaguely awkward romantic overture, one that confirmed my suspicion that Jill's ability to read the moment was pretty much on par with her respect for silence.

My respect for silence, meanwhile, seems to have suddenly grown. Go figure.

Note: Meeting Eileen has been moved to Saturday night. At least I think it has ... I sent an email proposing the delay (I start teaching a summer class tomorrow morning and I'm tired from last night) and haven't heard back yet.

Challenge: Day Five
Walk: No walk.
Sit-ups: 20
Water: More than 64 ounces.
Food (with Points)
latte: 1
Lean Cuisine pizza: 7
Chinese Chicken Salad with Fresh Gourmet dressing: 5
Whole Grain Pretzels: 2
Two squares dark chocolate with 1 TBS peanut butter: 6
8 oz fat-free organic milk:1
Green Beans w/ Spicy Sauce: 6
Whole Grain Bread: 2
TOTAL POINTS: 30

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How on earth can you love living in LA if you hate to drive?
ESM

paal said...

Oh my god. That's a great story.