Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Day 328: See Change.


George swings for the fences. Apparently, the end of the batting cages was just the beginning.

I can't imagine life in Los Angeles without George. I met him the first week I moved here, way back in August of 1992. Depending on the era, we've been classmates, writing partners, daily confidantes, traveling companions, stoners, opponents, neighbors - at one point, we were even estranged (I blame a particularly bad phase with the Ex).

In short, George has always been my best friend here. He's been my family. I'm not exaggerating when I say I life without him would be ... less.

I guess I'd better get used to the idea, because I found out yesterday that George is leaving Los Angeles in December. He and my housemate Jackie are moving to the Pacific Northwest to begin the next phase of their life together.

Am I happy for them? Sure, in the same way you're happy when people you love get offered their dream jobs ... in Hong Kong.

I wish I had something insightful to say about all this, but I don't. Not yet, anyway.

For now, I'm just trying to adjust, trying to accept that the world as I know it is about to change in a big way.

Sea change, indeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's so hard. I'm really sorry. I mean, it's nice for them and all, but it sucks so much when close friends move far away.
Big hugs,
ESM

Anonymous said...

It is sad when much loved friends move, but hey, you now have a new holiday destination!

btw, Karen I came across this website. I thought you might appreciate the wonderful photography in it. Some are really beautiful, some sad, some scary!

http://www.opacity.us/

alex