Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Day 104: Cages No More.

Image hosting by Photobucket
As I may have mentioned once or twice before, exercise is not my favorite pursuit on the planet ... unless I don't really know I'm doing it.

That's one reason I love going to the batting cages. I can swing the bat for 45 minutes and feel like I'm at least moving a little bit. I realize it's not a truly cardiovascular workout or anything, but hey ... I'll take it.

Beyond the movement angle, there's another reason I love the cages: George. Our trips are a tradition, from the way we split time in separate cages at the beginning to the final segment in which we play a game that we made up for points. After we're done playing (okay, after he wins), we generally hit up the Goodwill or Salvation Army store (both are nearby) - or get something to eat - before finally heading home.

When we went to hit balls this afternoon, though, the news was not good. We found out that the batting cages are closing down - something about how the landlord isn't renewing their lease after all these years. Since it's a prime piece of real estate on Colorado Street in Glendale, I guess it's not surprising ... but it was still a shock (if that makes sense).

And the worst part of all? Tomorrow is the last day the place is open. That means today was my last visit.

Sure, there are other cages in Los Angeles, but not 10 minutes away, and not with old-fashioned metal arms that make every pitch just a little bit different. There are no other cages where we've gotten to know the staff, where "Don Sutton" is the pitcher listed on the 52-mph cage door, or where I have a special card (given to me by the owner) that gives me 45 minutes for $12.00.

I know I'm whining, but I'm sad. First the bowling alley in Eagle Rock went all high-tech (effectively killing its once-cool atmosphere), and now the cages are going away. It's just not right.

Maybe George and I can start a miniature golf tradition?

Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket

No comments: