Thursday, March 23, 2006

Day 120: Finding the Funny if it Kills Me.


Mojo, Queen of the Jungle.

I said yesterday that I what I wrote tonight had better be funny.

If only the day had cooperated.

In fact, it wound up being the kind of day that makes you feel like things will never get any better. Even the dog walk was a bit of a chore. You tell yourself that the hopelessness is temporary - that you have no perspective, that the wrenching twist in your stomach will pass - but the words ring hollow at best.

At that point, there's only one thing you can do: Find the funny if it kills you. Even if you're incapable of smiling (let alone laughing), the mere knowledge that a funny moment has occured seems to shed a ray of light - however dim - on the shadows covering your heart.

And so, without further ado, here are five amusing moments I managed to squeeze out of an otherwise sucky day:

1. Cat Chases Bug. I don't like cats, but I like my cat. Mojo is just too cool not to like. Early this morning, as the sun was consuming the kitchen, she decided that her sole purpose in life was to catch a moth. She crept. She pounced. She batted. She almost fell off the kitchen table. She never caught the moth, and in the end, she didn't seem to care. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

2. Bush Speech Montage on The Daily Show. I just can't believe that guy runs our country. A few days ago, The Daily Show pieced together a single Bush speech using bits of speeches from all of his years in office. Has W been relying on the same fear-based talking points ever since he wasn't elected in 2000? Of course he has - and this bit of Daily Show brilliance proves it. I watched it for a third time this morning, and it's still great. Laugh at W

3. Incensed Driver Looks Stupid. In a spot of slow traffic, I happened to glance over at the car next to me. The driver - who was alone - was pitching an absolute fit. Yelling, flipping off the driver ahead of him, hitting the wheel and dashboard, the works. Talk about looking like an idiot. I'll have to remember that the next time I act like an idiot in my car.

4. Dog Poo Delight: I've mentioned before that every time my students achieve a certain number of points, they get to take a trip to the Treasure Chest (literally, a full-sized treasure chest in the back of my car). One of the prizes today was a particularly realistic pile of fake dogshit, and the kid who chose it was extremely pleased with herself. She immediately began to make plans to fake out every single person she knew. Her enthisiasm was endearing.

5. A trailer for the movie "Basic Instinct 2." Enough said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This will pass, K. She must know she has given up someone very special. Let that comfort you. Try to keep(as you put it ) finding the funny.

Anonymous said...

seriously, chica. she doesn't even know what she gave up...aside from the rest of it, she seems to have given up the chance to be your friend - a big loss for her, and a grave error.

NICE picture of ms. mojo rising.