Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Day 369: The Write Stuff.


"In the Library" - 1974

One of my favorite students - a second-grader named Jackson - came running out to my car today to tell me he was a finalist in a district-wide writing competition. The story, about a boy who changes places with a macaw and then doesn't know what to do when the macaw refuses to change back, was inspired by his summer trip to Brazil, and the friendship he formed with a macaw that lived in the hotel's outdoor lobby.

When Jackson found out his name had been printed on the district website, he looked at me and said - quite seriously - "I guess people are going to be asking for my autograph." (The kid just kills me. Later in today's class, when asked to write a brief biography of himself, Jackson's paragraph began: "I have faith in God. I believe in science. Also I like Dreyer's Double Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream.")

I completely understood Jackson's exuberance over his writing success. It's truly a thrilling feeling when someone (let alone a lot of someones) responds to something you write.

When I was 11 years old, my elementary school spent big bucks on a new library, and to get everyone excited, they offered a cash prize - and publication in some silly kid's magazine - for the best student poem about the new digs. The librarian (oh-so beautiful Miss Northwood) took me on a tour, after which I sat down and wrote my poem. I remember Miss Northwood reading it over my shoulder and laughing, impressed. It was music to my ears.

That night, on my parents' typwriter, it took dozens of tries before I got off an error-free copy. I won the contest, and the poem was published.

The poem was awful. Really truly awful. Jackson's macaw story is a whole lot better.

But that's really not the point. The point is how that dumb poem stands as one of the early milestones in my career as a writer. It helped solidify my love of writing.

Listening to Jackson today - hearing his confidence, how much he loves to write - made me smile.

4 comments:

Middle Girl said...

Precious. Here's hoping his passions continue to be fed.

River Driver said...

One of the reasons Jackson loves to write is because you've helped him develop that passion. That's got to be worth a smile...

Anonymous said...

You cheated us out of reading your poem :(

Anonymous said...

I retract..I was able to make it out - very cute, but safe to say you've improved