Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Day 189: The Best Keychain Ever (192.4).


There's something about receiving an award in front of a crowd that always makes me feel like a 12-year-old. I get slightly embarrassed, my stomach churns a little, my pulse quickens ...

And then I feel happy.

That's pretty much how it went down this morning. The 1.4 pounds I dropped this week pushed me to the point where I've lost 10 percent of my body weight, and I was rewarded with a keychain. (I have to say, it's a pretty nice keychain. I'm actually surprised I like it - I assumed it would be tacky and lame.)

"This is a very important milestone, Karen," my extremely perky meeting leader chirruped as I walked up and collected my prize. "Tell us how you did it! I'm sure we'd all like to know!"

The 30 or so people in the room nodded, murmured in agreement, and stared at me. I felt like some kind of zoopet. I hurried back to my seat, which, as usual, was the one nearest to the door (I rarely stay for the entire meeting, but today, if I wanted my keychain, I had no choice).

"Uhm ... well ... " I wasn't sure what to say. Should I mention the last-ditch Leek Fast, or maybe my reliably delicious 2-point peppers, onions, basil and egg whites breakfast scramble? Or perhaps I should go bigger, and talk about the public accountability that comes with writing a blog. Or the fact that I don't smoke pot anymore.

I finally said something about the points thing really working and daily dogwalks and friends who keep me honest .. and then I shut up.

So, all's well that ends well as far as this week's goal ...

This week's weight goal, anyway.

I wish I could pretend that I don't remember another goal that was set for today - one to do with finishing my edit of The Falling Joys.

I made good progress this week, and as of Sunday, I thought for sure I'd make it. Then I decided to change one thing and redo another and turn one character into someone else and ... well, you get the picture.

My new deadline is Sunday.

I'll bet I could make it if someone would just offer me a keychain ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Keep up the good work! Now if only there were goodies to be gained every time I take 5 pages of notes or write a sentence for my dissertation...
ESM

Anonymous said...

Karen, would you please share your recipe for the '2 point' scramble.
It sounds good (and healthy) and god knows I need to get myself back on track. Your dedication is putting us to shame! I am SO proud of you....MK