Saturday, January 13, 2007

Day 425: Dating and Dieting Don't Go Together.


It's hard to focus on losing weight when you're starting to like someone. When they call you up and say they feel like pizza and ask if you'd like to join them, it's hard to say no just because you know pizza is off-limits.

So you instead say to yourself, "I'll only have one small piece. And I won't eat the crust."

You say it because what you really want isn't the pizza (although it does sound pretty damn good) ... you want to see the person you like.

Then you get to the restaurant and there's salad and good beer and when the pizza comes it smells amazing and you eat your one piece and you know you should stop but then there's the part where you have to try a piece with eggplant because you've admitted that you haven't tasted eggplant in like, 15 years and you know that if you don't step up and try it you'll look like a stick-in-the-mud with no sense of adventure.

Suddenly, there's a second piece of pizza on your plate. One with eggplant.

Unfortunately, it was good. I was shocked. I ate almost the entire piece.

Like I said up top - dieting and dating don't mix.

I'm sure some of you are thinking that what I should have done was told Tea that I couldn't eat pizza, or wasn't in the mood for it, or suggested somewhere else to go.

No.

This is the first time in ... I don't know, maybe forever that I've started seeing someone without making my weight an issue. It hasn't even been mentioned in conversation - not once - and I haven't felt particularly insecure about it. Tea does know I'm in the throes of some no-pot-lose-weight-blog-experiment thing, but that's about all she knows.

Now, with all that said, I also realize that I need support when it comes to the diet, and if I'm going to keep seeing Tea (the red flags, by the way, are feeling increasingly insignificant), I'll have to find ways to get my dieting needs across without making them a constant topic of conversation.

Even though I'm not used to emotional balance when it comes to my weight, it feels very freeing to not be worrying about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay you! And hey, give yourself a break - 2 pieces of pizza is not a huge slip-up.
ESM

Anonymous said...

The nervous energy that comes with meeting a new love will burn the calories from those pizza slices in next to no time! Have fun... x

alex