Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Day 428: Good News.


Life got a whole lot better today when news came that the agency I've been talking to in New York has decided to represent The Falling Joys.

I mean, I think they're going to. The email sure made it sound that way. I'll know more after I speak with them tomorrow.

It's hard not to jump ahead in my mind - to imagine selling the book and actually seeing it get published - but I'm trying my best. Luckily, I have a seriously superstitious side (I had to mail the rewrite from the same post office I mailed the first draft, had to use the same color Sharpie on the box, needed the first person who read/edited the manuscript to be the last, etc). This means I'm terrified of jinxing the next step by assuming an outcome. If anything, my tendency is to underplay the potential.

(Okay, so I walked around the house earlier turning the words "book-book-book-book" into a truly retarded chicken sound ["book-book-book-bawwwk!"]. It was a momentary lapse of karmic judgment - not to mention a clear lapse of anything resembling cool. I'm over it now.)

So. I might get to have a book.

This is an idea that appeals to me.

4 comments:

River Driver said...

I know you are uncertain about all these things, like agents and rewrites, but just think: you've already got a dedicated readership!

Anonymous said...

WOO! My fingers will be crossed.
ESM

Anonymous said...

Bravo indeed!

Unknown said...

Fantastic news! I'm really happy for you. What a great start to the year!

alex