Thursday, July 13, 2006

Day 231: Ninety Minutes I'll Never Get Back.


Well, you can throw another lame date on the woodpile.

To be honest, my expectations for this one were low from the get-go. I probably shouldn't have even gone, but I told myself (as I tend to do in these situations) that I needed to give it a chance. Make sure I wasn't being judgmental. Keep an open mind.

When am I going to learn?
Trust the force, Karen ... trust the force.

The reasons why the date bombed aren't even that important (her sloppy, ill-fitting T-shirt and decidedly unwashed hair was the least of it). After about 90 minutes, I couldn't stand any more. I managed a graceful exit, and that was that.

This latest yawner does have me thinking, however, about the pros and cons of internet dating.

Clearly, the best way to meet someone is through friends, or through a place you have in common (work, class, your apartment building, your church/temple/mosque/cult ...)

But if those places aren't yielding very many options (and trust me, if you're a girl dating girls, the pickings get a whole lot slimmer), you have two primary options: clubs and the internet.

I realize this may come as something of a shock, but I'm so not a club girl. Not only are they too loud for good conversation, basing initial attraction on appearance - especially in a setting like that - has its own set of problems.


I suppose, in the interest of fairness, I should add that I'm also not a fan of clubs because I'm not the type who ever gets noticed in a place like that. No, I need a language-driven, one-on-one stage in order for my spells to work.

With internet dating, the gamble goes the opposite way. You get overly invested in someone based on everything but physical chemistry, and more often than not, that's what's missing when you finally decide to meet.

Admittedly, when it comes to ferreting out cool people, I've had pretty decent luck. I've got a good gut (it helps to listen to it) and I screen well. I've definitely met my share of duds, but no one dangerous, evil or otherwise frightening.

Still, after dates like this one, I definitely feel down on the whole idea.

Maybe I should give the clubs another shot after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should talk about jackie more and how she scoped out girls for you and you dont pay attention....by the way - indicators of relationship success are more about things like, similarity of religion, race, values, socioecon status and and whether your partners parents stayed together....and dare I say it - Chemistry is ubiquitous, integrity is rare