Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Day 132: Everyday People (and Their Dogs).


Did I mention Vaguely Hot Long-Haired Chick and her Bouncy Flouncy Poodle?

The thing about walking your dogs on the same trail every morning is that you keep running into the same people. You don't actually meet anybody (other than to nod hello, comment about one another's dog, or maybe dog-chat for a few paces until someone breaks free), but a familiarity begins to grow.

In my mind, I start referring to the regulars by extended nicknames.

For instance, there's Studly Dark-Haired Guy and his Dopey Dalmation. Studly always offers up a cheerful hello as he goes by, and there's never any choice but to turn around and watch him disappear down the trail. He simply looks too good in the faded-out jeans he favors.

Then there's Frizzy-Haired Lady and her Really Old Black Dog. She's there without fail first thing every morning, and her dog is always game in spirit if not in body. He's friendly and happy and fragile and the woman clearly loves him to death. It breaks my heart a little.

One of the stranger Dog Trail People is Aging German Rocker and his Big Balls Airdale. Picture Gene Simmons in leather pants with a thick accent and you're not far off. His uncut dog wants nothing more than to mount any and all female takers, but Callie (my black & white collie) isn't interested. He's a very handsome Airdale ... I guess he's just not her type.

Now, Callie sings a very different tune when Quietly Cool Grey-Haired Woman and Scrappy Benji Boy come by. Callie wiggles and wags and practically throws herself at Benji (who's half her size). I, in turn, am actually a little intimidated in my brief interactions with Quietly Cool. Something about her is wise and down-to-earth and makes me want to appear, well, not stupid.

Then there are the hard nuts to crack, like Silent Black Guy with Two Corgi-Looking Dogs. I pass him twice every morning (he does two loops, which I guess I'll need to start doing soon), but he never says a word. He doesn't even nod. His eyes merely rise in silent acknowledgement as he passes. His dogs are much the same - they trot by without a second glance.

Sports Team Sweatshirt Guy and his Husky Shepherd Mix are also regulars, but as much as it pains me to say it, he comes off as the most boring guy on the planet. Oh, I don't know, maybe I'm being harsh - but just looking at him makes me want to take a nap. His dog has a far more interesting presence and might just have a better sense of humor.

I think my favorite Dog Trail Person, though, is Hispanic Woman Who Has No Dog and Never Stops Walking. She must make that loop three times, huffing and puffing along at a clipped pace, no canine in sight. I find myself hoping she gets lean and fit and healthy. I mean, even if she doesn't have a dog, she sure as hell works like one. I admire her drive to keep going.

There's only one person I ever have longer conversations with, but she's not there that often. Probably a Dyke with Two Happy Mutts tends to run into me right by the horses who live near the top of the trail. (There are neighborhoods that border the park, and the people who own the horses have the greatest spot in town.) Probably a Dyke is laid-back and washed-out, in her late 30s, and talks like she's still high from a few years back.


I could go on (Pretty Woman with the Prancy Rhodesian Ridgeback Mix, Stroller Mom and her Drooly Newfie, Stone Cut Jogger Man, Hipster Girl and her Designer Bogle [boxer/beagle cross] ...), but you get the idea.

I can't believe I ever thought going for walks was a grind. The people-watching alone is worth the price of admission. It does make me wonder, though, how someone else from the trail might refer to me ...

I think I'll go with "Friendly Chick Who's Getting Thinner Every Day and her Smart, Beautiful Dogs."

3 comments:

paal said...

Excellent!

River Driver said...

Love it. I categorized the people at my gym, but of course they don't have dogs with them. I think you can tell a lot about the people you meet by their accompanying animals (which could be a problem for me, Overweight Teacher with Psycho Satan Shiba).

Anonymous said...

oh good stuff, chica! This would NEVER grow old.

At Runyon, I see a lot of Barely There Girl Who Might Not Make It Up The Hill - also, Muscle Bound Gym Queen and his Gamely Flailing Dachsund.