Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Day 139: Finally, Something Good on TV.


Some people call it Television Graveyard, others call it Television Hill. It happens to be around the corner from my house, and I never fail to get a kick out of driving past it.

For a long time, no one knew who was responsible for the impromptu installation. The decorated TVs started appearing in January of 2005, and over the next six months, the Silver Lake hillside became increasingly crowded. What made the site so perfect was the collection of 75-year-old concrete pillings; they're all that's left of an old trestle bridge and they make great TV stands. In July, when the TVs were abruptly taken down, the artist was revealed to be a local guy named Tomas Hinds.

Over the last month or so, Message Television has returned to the hill. And whereas Hinds' previous sentiments were largely random ("Make Art," "Stop Cellphone Abuse," "Find Rhythm," "True Friends Are Few," "Expect the Least," and personal favorites "This Too Will Pass" and "It's Not All Good"), his new batch is far more political.

Who can blame him? I know I generally avoid writing about politics here, but those of you who know me are
all-too aware of how caustic my rants can get. My disgust for this administration is matched only by my shock that everyone isn't outraged.

I know it's only a matter of time before someone takes the TVs down again, but in the meantime, I'm glad to see them back up. They're garish, they're loud, they're an eyesore ... and they're great.


The picture below was taken in the very green Spring of 2005 by Los Angeles artist Tofer. I guess "Impeach The President" proves that the TVs have always been political - they just seem more so now.

No comments: