Monday, December 18, 2006

Day 399: The Amazing Face.


For three years now (ever since I moved into my house), I've watched the woman pictured above make her daily walk around the neighborhood.

Her pace is slow but steady, and her expression never changes. I've never seen her talk to anyone, carry anything, depart from a location, or arrive at one. I've never seen her stop walking, either.

I've wanted desperately to take her picture, but I haven't for two main reasons: I don't usually carry my camera around, and I feel weird asking strangers if I can take their picture. I also worried I might offend her.

I was driving home from my final goodbye over at George's on Friday when I saw her ... and this time, I had my camera with me. I guess my sadness made me bold, because I stopped the car alongside her, rolled down the passenger window, and asked if she'd mind if I took her picture.

She spoke no English (and I know like, 50 words in Spanish), so maybe that's why she thought I was asking her to take a picture. She nodded - and reached out to receive my camera - and I snapped one shot. "No, I meant I wanted to take your picture," I said at roughly the same time. I suddenly felt guilty, like I'd stolen something.

She stared at me for a moment, shrugged, and continued on her way.

When I saw her again this afternoon, she smiled at me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She looks like a wise woman with many a story to tell. I bet she felt a bit special when you took her photo.

alex

Anonymous said...

What else are you afraid to do?

M