Friday, December 29, 2006

Day 410: Pear for the Course.


Tonight's unexpected dessert - the black things are walnuts.

As far as dates go, tonight's was a pretty good one. Brenda is smart, funny and engaging, and if I leaned just a little bit more towards the whole Woody Allen thing, I'd be
really interested. As it stands, well ... we'll see.

The evening (sans date) began with dinner at Randy's - despite having recently emerged from the hospital, he rallied to make a killer chicken stir fry with cashews and a cous cous he'd prepared in homemade broth. Knowing Randy would go down for the count early, I arranged to meet my date for a drink afterwards. (When I say "meet" I mean that literally - Brenda and I had exchanged a few emails and spoken on the phone, but never actually met).

The chosen spot was Vinoteca in Los Feliz, but I'd barely arrived when I realized I'd forgotten my wallet (classic Karen, unfortunately). No cash, no cards, no nothing. I sat in my car for a good minute or so deciding what to do next, then took out my cell phone and dialed.

"Hello, Brenda? You're taking the 134 to the 5, right? Good, well ... I was thinking, how do you feel about a change in plan? Turns out Vinoteca is a total scene tonight - it took me forever to find a place to park. And then there's the part where I forgot my wallet ... Would you be up for going a few more exits on the 5 and having a drink at my place instead?"

It's a good thing she said yes, since I was already halfway back to my house by the time I finished my spiel. Fifteen minutes later she arrived, a cute Jewish woman with an excellent sense of humor and a serious allergy to dogs and cats. I sequestered Sydney, Callie and Mojo (they were not amused) and we sat at the kitchen table and had a drink (no wine for Brenda, who's allergic to the tannens in wine. She instead had a Cointreau and Soda, even cutting herself a nifty French Twist with a lime peel).

We began talking and telling stories, and when she noticed the fruit on my table (a fancy selection given to me by one of the families I tutor), she suggested baking some pears. Right then and there. I liked that about her. Ten minutes later, after being dolloped with butter and sprinkled with brown sugar, walnuts, and cinnammon, the pears were in the oven.

Brenda was sweet and complimentary as we talked, and impossible not to like. I definitely got the impression she was interested. Did I feel a similar attraction? I'm not sure ... maybe. I'd certainly go on another date to find out.

The pears were delicious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

perhaps it's pearfection you're looking for after all.