Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Day 478: The Worst Way to Die.


For me, it's a no-brainer: fire would be the worst way to go.

Since many of the 6th and 7th grade kids I tutor have a state-mandated writing test this week - in the form of a timed narrative essay - I've been sharpening their chops with some in-class assignments.

First, I put together a page with five essay options:

1) Write about something that disgusts you.
2) Describe what you think would be the worst way to die ... and why.
3) Write about an item you once lost that you still wish you could find.
4) Write something about yourself that is embarrassing.
5) What is the biggest lie you've ever told? Why did you tell it?


I thought the first two would probably be the most popular, and threw the fourth one in just for fun (I wanted to see how fast they'd run from it, and I was right. Only one kid chose it, writing about the time he wore his older brother's jeans to school and they fell down to reveal his bunny rabbit boxers). They had 30 seconds to make their choice and 10 minutes to write a descriptive, detailed answer that drew on as many of the five senses as were applicable.

I was surprised at how overwhelmingly the kids were drawn to the death option (more than 80%).

"I think being burned to death would be the worst way to die," wrote 11-year-old Jack. "I would not want to feel the pain because it probably feels like your soul being sucked into the sky. Being burned would also be the slowest way to die, and I say that if you're going to die, GET IT OVER WITH!!!"

Amen, Jack.

12-year-old Jonas chose old age as the worst way to expire. "Years would pass by faster and death would always be trying to grasp your life. I think old age would be the worst because every time it was my birthday I would think of death."

Clearly, Jonas was listening to my thoughts on my last birthday.

The response that threw me for the biggest loop, however, came from a 13-year-old named Alice. "What if you died in front of your friends and none of them tried to help you? If you died in front of your friends and none of them really cared, I think that would be the worst way to die."

I can honestly say I never would have thought to answer the question that way. Every once in a while (okay, pretty regularly) I learn something in these sessions.

So ... what do you think would be the worst way to die?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Young.

And/or alone.

Honestly, they're all pretty awful to contemplate.

ESM

Anonymous said...

The worst way to die is unprepared.
Mom

Anonymous said...

"sliding down a razor banister."

-Norm Peterson of Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Hopeless, without Christ

Unknown said...

Dying a slow, painful death, and not being able to get any help or even speak to anyone you love.. but knowing you're going to die.

Anonymous said...

alone.

Anonymous said...

I think the worst way to go would be knowing I'd hurt others and hadn't made amends before dying, no matter my age.

I would also hate to think that I'd done very little good with my life before dying.

If it's called for, my husband and I make a point of making up before going to sleep (who knows if we'll wake up?) and before leaving the house (who knows what could happen out there?)

I pretty much try to live my days with the thought that each one could be my last one. It seems to push me to be better. Not that I don't fail a lot of the time - ARGH - but still, it helps.

And, as your mother says, dying unprepared isn't a good method either - in more ways than one. Keeping good records, having a standard will, a living will, written plans, etc., makes it easier on those who'll have to clean up your mess.

I hear many folks say that once they’re gone, it doesn’t matter what they leave behind. I wholeheartedly disagree.

Guess it's rather obvious that I've mulled over your question more than once.

Anonymous said...

i wholely agree with angel: having the time to know you are going to die.
jessica lundsford RIP :-(

Anonymous said...

Having the love of your life not experience all the greatest joys you have to offer her.

Anonymous said...

pretty sure i have it:

looking into the eyes of the person you love as they smother you.

-l