Saturday, March 24, 2007

Day 494: The Penultimate Post.


The Chief Theater in Perris, California - 2007
(No, the picture has nothing to do with the post ... I just like it)

I've been thinking for days now (many, many days) about what I should do with the blog now that my 495 days are coming to an end. Seriously - I lie awake at night cycling through a myriad of thoughts.

Wow - it sucks I only reached half of my goal weight.

Okay, well, at least I didn't smoke - not even once - in 495 days.


So ... will I ever smoke pot again? And if so, can it be limited to a recreational activity?

If I ever go back to smoking all the time I'll be horrified.

How will the blog readers know when I make it into the 70s ... and then the 60s and the 50s and finally, the 40s? (which I will).

There are still four publishers with the manuscript. Only two of six have passed. I want to be able to tell the good news when it sells! (Now that's some positive - if ego-ridden - thinking at work.)

The blog keeps me honest, even in failure. I'll miss it if I dismantle it.

How many days will it ultimately take to reach 145 pounds?

If I kill the blog, where will I rant?

Man, it sucks that I failed on the weight front.

It really fucking sucks.

It sucks, like ... a lot.

I think what I want to do is keep the blog ... but give it a face-life and relaunch with a fresh, more diverse approach.

I'm going to go through and hide all the entries that would freak me out if anyone found them, but leave the rest. I'll change the front page wording and debut an all-new "Cutting Through the Fat."


I will not, however, feel compelled to write every goddamn day. Not only does it kill me sometimes, I don't always have enough to say. (Along those lines, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for all of the boring, repetitive and otherwise lame posts you've had to suffer through over the last year and four months.)

My plan is to keep attending Weight Watchers meetings, but only once a month - and then I'll post the results. For the rest of the entries, I'll write about me and my life (I mean, come on - I'm still my favorite subject), but I'll also write about random issues from the outside world.

I'll also continue to post photographs, which have often been a personal high point when it comes to the blog. I've loved figuring out the art almost as much (sometimes, maybe more than?) writing the entries.

I hope those of you who've been reading since the beginning (and it never fails to surprise me how many of you there are) will keep checking in.

Because when all is said and done - failures on the weight front aside - this blog has been one of the greatest things I've ever attempted.

Thank you.

More images from Perris, the town that time forgot:









5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, *sniff. Congratulations on all you've accomplished with the blog. I'm glad you're going to keep it up, and it sounds like the new format will give you more flexibility. I look forward to seeing it!
love,
ESM

Anonymous said...

By the way, the picutre of the man sitting is amazing. Really a great photograph.
ESM

Anonymous said...

Having cut throught the fat...a lot of it literally and figuratively has been the greatest joy of your blog...it's one I have read regularly...and to think at some point we'll all hear about the success with your book! I for one vote for daily writing...even if brief...it's more compelling that way.

Middle Girl said...

I haven't been reading since the beginning, but for quite a while now. I'm intrigued about the prospect of where cutting through the fat goes to from here.

Congratulations on your accomplishments to date.

Anonymous said...

I love online journals. They're a fantastic public time capsule, a great way to view how you've changed and share it with the world. I'm happy to have met you outside the context of this blog and to have had a short cameo early on. And you may not have reached the final goal, but as we all know, that's not really the point.

Don't forget to tell us (me) where the new blog is and have us (me) over for that barbecue (please).

Your friend and fan,
MPooface