Saturday, March 10, 2007

Day 481: Shatto Bowling.


I haven't been bowling with anyone other than George in a long time, and ever since the lanes we always bowled at went all modern, I haven't been at all.

So, when Tea and I decided to go bowling tonight, I was hoping she'd lead me to some old-school lanes with charmingly seedy decor, cheap beer, and (most importantly) hand-scoring.

Well, two out of three ain't bad.

The decor was seedy and the drinks were cheap at Shatto Lanes, where the motto (posted all over the place) is "Bowl For Fun and Health!" (I feel compelled to mention that for a place staking half its claim on health, they sure do offer the most exhaustive bar menu I've ever seen at a bowling alley ...)

All in all, it was a great place - and I'll go back again - but come on .. why has hand-scoring gone the way of the dinosaur? I know I've ranted on this before, but it's just not the same game if you can't color in your own strikes and spares.

Anyway, I was hoping that a steady flow of beer would keep Tea's game at loose ends (while serving to strengthen mine), and for a while there, everything was going according to plan. I lost the first game 117-103, but came back strong with two decisive wins (121-99 and 123-92). I was sitting pretty going into the fourth game - visions of a 3-1 rout dancing in my head - when Tea decided the only way to save face was to get the high score of the night. "Sure," I shrugged, and I think I came pretty close to yawning. "You go ahead and do that."

Well, you can pretty much tell where this one is going. Not only did Tea manage to pull out a 139, I crashed and burned with an 87. So, even though we tied-2-2, she got both the high score and the most total points (447-434). How frustrating is that? How annoying? How totally wrong?

I do like that girl.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

She bowled you over!! har har har

Last time I went bowling, I defeated my boyfriend at the time.
He mustn't have liked it very much.
We broke up that same evening.
Bad loser!

Of course, bowling had nothing to do with it, but still, I recall making bowling jokes at the time! Sometimes you have to get through things with inappropriate humour.

Anyway..glad to hear that things are going great with Tea ...bowling is actually quite fun, perhaps a rematch is in order!